The Ethical Writers Coalition, of which I am a co-founder, is asking you to share your locally made, eco-friendly, vintage, fair trade, cruelty-free, organic, or ethically produced items in your own photos in our first annual Style Stories.Don't be intimidated, your outfit doesn't need to contain all of these elements or even more than one ethical or sustainable piece. Just put together an outfit you're proud of, because it's both beautiful and has at least one conscious element.
- Locally made means produced near you, which could mean your city, your state, your country, or even by you!
- Eco-friendly is a broad term, but can include organic cotton, Tencel, peace silk, or many other types of natural or recycled fabric.
- Vintage or secondhand is something that was previously bought and owned by someone else.
- Fair trade is an item that may be certified fair trade or bought from a company you know pays living wages to its employees and producers.
- Cruelty-free means vegan, so anything not made from animal products like leather, wool, or fur.
- Organic means produced without pesticides and certified as organic. This would refer to the textile (e.g. cotton, bamboo) and should be in the materials list on the tag.
- Ethically-produced is another broad term. This would encompass all of the above criteria and possibly more (e.g. zero-waste, upcycled, made in America, etc.).
- DO look for good light. Usually that means natural light outside or near a window. Right now, around 4 pm is best because it makes you look all glow-y.
- DO take a clear, full-body photo of yourself wearing your sustainable item(s).
- DO tell the story of the item or how you acquired it.
- DON'T use this platform to promote brands that don't meet the above criteria. It's OK if your shoes are conventional, just leave the brand name out of your description, please.
How to participate:
- Submit your photos to the Ethical Writers Coalition at The Style Stories OR post to Instagram using the hashtag #StyleStories15
- Include the sustainable criteria behind your outfit. Bonus points for a good story behind your style!
The photo gallery will be kicking off during NY Fashion week February 12-19. You could be featured on The Style Stories that week, so send us your best!If you have questions, please ask them in the comments below.